Thing is I got tons of questions of how to make the cake layers the way I did without having to bake a whole bunch of different layers, level, frost and assemble. I have a tutorial on how to make a quick rainbow cake but that one comes out like most, with the colors swirled around. (Rainbow Cake) This one produces an even level color separation that is just astounding!
You honestly will not believe how easy it is!
What you will need:
- Sheet Cake Recipe (At bottom of page)
- Gel Food Colorings
- Baking Spray
- Measuring Cup
- 9 Inch Rounds - 1 per 3 colors you will be prepping
Now I will explain this as if you are baking a cake with 6 color - Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple.
- Prepare your cake batter.
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Divide the batter into 6 bowls - 2/3's cup of batter each. (Anything left over use for cupcakes or something. If it very important to use the exact same amount per layer, why we are measuring before anything else.)
- Color each batter bowl.
- Spray 2 9 inch decorator level cake pans with baking spray. (Straight edged sides)
- Pour 2/3 cup red batter into one, 2/3 cup green batter into the other.
- Bake 10 minutes or until just set on top
- Remove from oven, carefully but quickly add orange batter on top of the red, tilt the pan around to layer evenly. Do the same with the other pan by pouring the blue on top of the green.
- Bake another 10 minutes or until the new layer is just set.
- Remove from oven, carefully but quickly once again add more batter. This time Yellow to Orange and Purple to Blue. Tilt to even out the batter.
- Bake 10-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs.
- Remove from oven.
- Let cool 5 minutes.
- Flip both layers out of pans.
- Immediately place the green bottom layer onto the yellow top layer.
- Let cool fully.
- Decorate as you please!
It is really that freaking simple! And this is what it will look like if you slice through it! Neat huh?
Now for the cake recipe. I use a modified Texas Sheet Cake recipe for this. (This is not for the diet friendly)
What you will need -
- 1 Cup Butter Flavored Crisco (Seriously, pull out the shortening for this.)
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Full Fat Sour Cream
- 1 Teaspoon Almond Extract
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda (Don't use more! If you do the cake will rise more and won't give you level layers.)
- In a large sauce pan, bring your water to a boil.
- Add in Crisco, melt and remove immediately from heat.
- Toss in everything else and mix until well combined.
- Now, either follow the instructions above for the rainbow cake or to just make a sheet cake..
- Pour into a large pan, sprayed with baking spray and bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.