Granted, not every woman in the wold knows how to make a RVC, which is sad. You should. So, I'm going to give you a personal recipe from my private stash. Now, before I begin I am going to send you somewhere. Go here - Red Velvet Love. This is a little post I made a while ago on what makes a RVC. Why? Because this cake is a love affair. Either you are going to love it or you will hate it. If you love it, you will fight for it, defend it and let people know exactly why it is the Queen Of Cakes, hehe. (I have a bit of passion for this if you couldn't tell.)
So, let us get started. This recipe is from my book - Surreal Fare (Shameless Plug here, you can pick it up by clicking on that link and get this recipe and so many more. :P Digital Download or Print, hehe.) Now, back to the cake! This is the recipe I pull out when we have company over. One that I am proud to say has caused many people to lean back in their chair, close their eyes and have a foodgasm when they eat it. (Any single girl wanting to catch a country boy, make this. ^_~)
2 2/3 Cup Cake Flour
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Salt
3 Tablespoon Cocoa Powder, level
1/2 Cup Light Brown Sugar, packed
1 Cup Butter Milk
2 Large Eggs
1 2/3 Cup Vegetable Oil, not shortening
2 Teaspoons Vanilla (or 1 Vanilla Bean Scrapped Out)
1 Ounce No Taste Red Food Coloring Gel
1 Teaspoon White Vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Coat 3 or 4, 8 inch round cake pans with non stick baking spray.
3. In a large mixing bowl sift together the flour, granulated sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder.
4. Mix in the brown sugar. Set aside.
5. In another bowl combine the buttermilk, eggs, vegetable oil and vanilla.
6. Mix until well combined.
7. Add in the food coloring to wet mix. Beat until the batter is a uniform color.
8. Slowly add in the dry ingredient mixture. Mix until well combined.
9. Add in the vinegar and mix until combined.
10. Pour equal amounts into each cake pan.
11. Place into the oven and cook 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
12. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
13. Remove from cake pan and allow to cool fully, 1-2 hours before decorating.
14. Decorate, Serve and Enjoy!
1. Make sure to get no taste red gel, you can find it in most super centers in the celebration area.
2. Thinner layers cook better with this recipe. If you don't have 3+ cake pans, lower temp to 325.
3. Keep the amount in each cake pan under 1/2 full if you can, it will bake more evenly.
4. Use a Cream Cheese Frosting, it is truly the best to compliment this cake.
5. Make sure to follow the steps as they are here. I am usually one for - oh forget it, I can just dump and go. This is not one of those times.