- 6 Teaspoon Yeast (or 3 squares. I prefer quick rising to cut down on time.)
- 15 Ounces Warm Water (110-120 F)
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Granulated Sugar
- 6-8 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Oil
- 1/2 Cup Baking Soda
- 4 Cups Hot Water
- Kosher Salt
- In a bowl combine your yeast, 1 1/2 teaspoon sugar and water. Mix until everything is dissolved and let stand 10 minutes or until bubbly and creamy.
- In a large mixing bowl sift together the remaining sugar, the salt and 4 cups of the flour.
- Create a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the yeast mix and oil.
- Mix until well combined, adding more flour as needed until it pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured counter and kneed until smooth and "elasticy". This will take 7-10 minutes. If you are using a dough hook on your mixer it will take probably 5. Form into a ball.
- Take a large bowl and grease down with crisco.
- Place dough ball in the bowl, flip over and make sure it is fully coated.
- Cover and let rise until double in size.
- Preheat over to 450F.
- Dissolve the baking soda into the hot water and set aside.
- Divide up dough into 24 equal pieces and roll out into long "strings" around 2-3 feet long.
- Twist into a pretzel shape.
- Dip into the baking soda wash. (This is a step NOT to skip, it is a must!)
- Place on a cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment.
- Sprinkle with Kosher Salt.
- Bake for 7-8 Minutes.
- Remove and cool for a few minutes.
- Serve and Enjoy!!!!!!
|Chocolate Chip With Icing|
Now, if you would like a twist here are a couple!
1. Instead of spending all the time making pretzel shapes just cut up the dough and make pretzel sticks or pretzel bites.
2. Omit the salt and sprinkle with a cinnamon-sugar mix before tossing into the oven for a sweet treat.
3. After the dough has risen, fold into chocolate chips. After baking drizzle with icing!
4. Wrap precooked hot dogs in the dough and bake! Awesome on the go meal!
5. This dough works great for Deep Dish Pizza or even making Calzones!